Wednesday, June 28, 2017

How Mr. Cardinal opened my eyes...rethinking schools assignment

Michele Russo
“I See Birds Everywhere I Go”- Engaging Urban Students in the Natural World; by Ellen Royse

“Look Mom...it’s Mr. Cardinal! Hi Mr. Cardinal!” Those sweet little words that my 2 year old yells aloud while he is amazed at the sights and sounds around him while so innocently standing on the pavement.  How adorable.  How pure.  How beautiful.  To be able to share in that excitement would be a wonderful skill.  I think to myself, “Why have I never noticed that beautiful cardinal?” How is it possible that my two year old son is so magically aware of the beauty that surrounds us while there I am fidgeting on my cell phone, as I quickly scroll through emails and reminders for the week.  Wow....I’m kind of jealous of his unique, capable little mind.  Why didn’t I notice that cardinal?  Why don’t I notice those birds that swarm around so sweetly in the sky?  What else am I so preoccupied with that I can’t look up for one minute and see the beautiful sights of nature?



In scrolling through the rethinkingschools.org website, I became particularly intrigued by the article titled "I See Birds Everywhere I Go"- Engaging Urban Students in the Natural World; by Ellen Royse Ellen begins her story by informing us that she grew up in rural Kentucky, where nature was always considered a beautiful sanctuary.  She speaks of always being aware of the presence of nature and all the wonderful things it has to offer us- just as the beautiful wildlife that flies right above our heads.  Ellen eventually moves to Washington, D.C. where she obtains a job teaching Urban Ecology to high school seniors.  She recalls the moment that she eagerly takes her students to Rock Creek Park for an educational experience.  She explains that her students, who are all primarily black and latino, have the face of fear written all over them.  Ellen stated that “they were afraid for their personal safety away from the protection of street lights and watchful neighbors; the woods became a maze where people were vulnerable to attack.”  How naive Ellen had been- she thought.  How was her perception of the woods, so beautiful, peaceful and relaxing so completely opposite of that of her students?  She goes on to note that while walking through the woods, items such as televisions in garbage bags, used condoms and needles paved the pathways into the woods.  How had she never noticed such things before?  How enlightening...How amazing it is that we are all surrounded by that same thing, but that we are not all seeing the same things.  Our lenses are all different and unique.  How can she teach them the beauty of nature when all they are seeing is fear and disgust?

Ellen informs the students that their assignment will be to “adopt a bird,” and to learn everything about that bird- from what they look and sound like to what they eat and where they may come from.  She encourages them to study them closely through the high quality binoculars that she purchased for the classroom students.  The students were more than reluctant and at times seemed resistant to this assignment.  She begins by giving them two quizzes- one in which they must name the brand names of items that are depicted in pictures that she shows, and the other for them to name each bird that she shows.  Ironically enough, the students aced the brand name quiz and very much flunked the bird quiz.  Why is that, she asked?  Students commented such things like, “we see brands everyday.  We don’t see the birds,” and how “people will never value birds the same way that they do Nikes.”  Wow...is this what our world has come to?  We are all so engrossed in today’s culture that we must have the best of the best and such high quality things that we forget the beauty that surrounds us.  

This assignment certainly became an enlightening experience for all of the students.  Ellen mentions that the students eventually found that in “naming the birds it gave them both value and individuality.”  Almost as if they now had meaning.  The students came up with their own mnemonics for the sounds that each individual bird exhibited.  Eventually the students were eager to go back into the woods to see what other species they could learn and study about.  This creative teaching approach (something that is only thought to be offered to the elite and professional class) was something that was offered to these ‘black and latino students.’  It did them great good, as several of them ended up going to college to study science, biology and even urban ecology due to this wonderful educational experience they were so very lucky to be a part of in Ellen’s class.  

I found this article extremely moving on a personal level.  Why are we surrounded by so many “things” that we don’t even notice the beauty around us?  Luckily for me, my adorable little two year old was smart enough to point such beauty out to me.  Such beauty that I neglected to notice.  Such beauty that I was “too busy” or too careless to see.  My son taught me something that Ellen taught one of her students…”Now I can’t go anywhere without seeing birds.”  Thanks Mr. Cardinal for opening my eyes.


6 comments:

  1. It is very difficult to work in an urban school and be able to seek out nature...but it can be done. We have a tree behind our school and we adopt it to discuss the changes it makes through the seasons. We have a tiny garden next to our playground and the children are able to pull weeds and plant seeds and learn what seeds need to grow. We also have insects like ants that crawl on the wood chips in our playground and the children love to catch them in buckets. We discuss all the characteristics that make ants insects. We are unable to walk to a nearby park because there isn't one but the children observe the clouds in the sky and the birds as they fly by.
    I enjoyed reading about how the students chose a bird to study. I think teachers can use the interests of students but also have the ability to make things interesting to students so they want to learn about new concepts.
    From a personal standpoint, I have become one of those bird watchers in my yard. I have feeders that many birds eat from including chickadees, finches, cardinals,and my favorites, hummingbirds. I have even seen orioles at a feeder. The other day my husband and I used binoculars to watch an osprey, a type of hawk, sit in a tree and eat a fish it had caught. Nature is all around, we just have to have patience to observe it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Michelle. I love how you introduced us to your two year old. I do remember when my kids were that little and they pointed out some of the most amazing things in nature....leaves were always a fascination. You really captured the essence of the unique differences of urban students. They truly had a different lens perspective.
    Fast forward to children and adults today...I am sad in a way that technology has taken over. I myself become engrossed in my own cell phone apps. There needs to be a balance...I am working hard at this (putting my phone down) especially when trying to connect with my kids. Thank you for your blog...for me it was eye opening.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoy reading your blog. I thought it was great your 2 year old was the one who showed you first. Children are a wonderful because they always see the beauty in all things before we do. Nature is something we should stop and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    This was beautifully written and so true. Straight from the mouths of babes. It's amazing the things we can see when we open our eyes to the world around us instead of constantly looking towards technology. I love the lesson on adopting a bird and would love to see all schools do a project like that, jut to introduce children to nature and to pay attention to the world around them. Thank you Mr. Cardinal!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this article served to show us the way that the "lens" we have on colors what we see around us, as you said. It is also highlighting the stark differences in the communities each individual grows up in and becomes comfortable in. When Royce said "they were afraid for their personal safety away from the protection of street lights and watchful neighbors; the woods became a maze where people were vulnerable to attack," I could not help but think of the students I educated in urban Boston schools. To be placed in a different environment completely can be unnerving, and it is especially challenging for urban educators to gain access to nature for their students because it is limited or far away from their communities (as Karen stated). Given the class that Royse was instructing (Urban Ecology), I wonder if Royse could have adapted her lesson to teach children about looking for nature within their own urban community. While the park is in the northwest quadrant of D.C., I would be interested to see how the students have noticed the beauty and nature around them as well, teaching them that they can see all sorts of phenomena when they look around them and observe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely written Michele. (and enjoy every minute with your little guy, my girls are in college...time flies!) It is so true how our busy hectic lives can sometimes takeover and make us miss out on some of the better things in life like observing nature for it's beauty. The line where you said "How enlightening...How amazing it is that we are all surrounded by that same thing, but that we are not all seeing the same things" is so true and on so many levels. I think this also has a lot to do with the "Colorblindness is the New Racism". It is sometimes easier to "not see" the problem. We need people to develop "Color Insight". It can also support Delpit's point that we need to teach the "codes of power" to those who haven't or won't be taught the codes at home. We need everyone to "see" the problem and those in power to "see" they are the ones who can make change happen.

    The other connection I had to your piece was about the teacher bringing the students to unfamiliar territory. I was teaching third graders in C.F. about waves and tried to make the connection to ocean waves after all this should be easy we do live in the "Ocean State". Well, early in to my lesson I was shocked to learn that most of my students have never experienced the ocean. When they go to the beach, it's Lincoln Woods, a fresh water pond, know wonder they couldn't understand my wave references of being at the beach. Luckily through google Earth we got to explore R.I. beaches as well as beaches around the world. We actually went on a field trip to Newport and went to a small aquarium and on a boat for a seal watch. The students were amazed, but the best experience of that trip was the 45 minutes we had for lunch and I brought my students down to the water. I had them take off there shoes, stand in the water with the little waves hitting them and I had them cup there hand and taste a little bit. The one thing I could really not get them to understand in the classroom and with technology was salt water versus fresh water!

    ReplyDelete